atw: Re: Footnotes in word

  • From: "Macumber, Kate" <macumberk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:44:45 +0100

Hi Chris,

I think this is a Word bug. We use Word 2003 and it's happened to us too
- in addition, tables and styles often start corrupting in the document.

We've had the problem for the past year and I can't find any fixes for
it.

Having said that, it might be a corruption in your Normal template (our
Normal template is centrally controlled, so we check this). If you
delete the template, next time you open word it will re-create your
Normal template. It won't fix the document, but it might save you from
having problems with other documents.

The only way we've found to get rid of the corruption in a particular
document was to convert the document to HTML then back into Word.
Unfortunately, a straight conversion from Word to HTML means that you
will lose some of your formatting and any fields.

However, if you do the following, most of your formatting and fields
will be preserved:

1. Convert the document to XML.

2. Close and reopen the doc.

3. Convert the document to HTML.

4. Close and reopen the doc.

5. Convert the document back to a Word doc file.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Kate.