atw: Re: FW: Re: ASTC(NSW) conference 2007

  • From: "Matthew da Silva" <mdasilva@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 13:18:28 +1000

The use of Anglo Saxon-derived words is often overlooked. One of the
textbooks I'm currently reading almost exclusively uses words derived
from Latin roots. Due to the lexical sameness, comprehension is severely
curtailed. I believe that the writer uses this kind of language on
purpose, to raise the tone of the book, which is about marketing. It may
be that like many social science experts, the author wants to emphasise
the 'science' element in order to attract funding and enhance prestige.
But this is just a supposition.

Matthew