atw: Re: FW: Re: ASTC(NSW) conference 2007

  • From: "Christine Kent" <c.bkent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 13:02:10 +1000

Basic rule is speak English not Latin (or Greek, or Latin via French).
English words tend to be simple single syllable words that everyone
understands; Latin and Greek have many syllables and are designed to
differentiate between the working classes (the Celts etc) and the upper
classes (the invading Romans, Normans etc. )

Another basic rule is to write subject/verb/object sentences in active
rather than passive voice.

So you have:

*

        a cat sitting on a mat, not a mat upon which a feline is recumbent.
*

        sludge not "putrescible matter"
*

        house, not accommodation
*

        meat-eating, not carnivorous

You obviously do it naturally - I scanned the email you sent and can't find
any obvious substitutions.  Maybe reading ability rather than literacy
levels.

Of course, if  you learn to do it too well, everyone will think YOU are
dumb.

ck

   _____