atw: FW: Re: ASTC(NSW) conference 2007

  • From: Donald Burch <donburch888@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 18:52:31 +1000

Very good example "here", Irene !  Ha-ha.

But seriously, are you thinking of the literacy of the writers, or the
literacy of the readers ?

There has always been a gap between those who study language, and the
man in the street - as evidenced by the pedantic nature of many
threads in this list.  Personally I feel that the average person's
grasp of English has dropped markedly over the past few decades -
though I certainly don't think of myself as any sort of expert (heck I
didn't even like English at school).   But for years I've been
wondering what the premium costs to "insure that you press button A
before button B".  I blame American, and the fact that they call it
"English".

As if things aren't bad enough now, with the TXT generation the gap
seems to be turning into a chasm.  And as the TXTers rapidly become
the main advertising demographic I expect that all forms of writing
(and not just advertising) will be dumbed down ... and in a few years
we will all be unemployable (except for documents intended for other
geriatrics).

Sorry, another one of those issues which 'gets my goat'.

So Irene, are you thinking of literacy standards for writers ?  Or of
adapting the writing to the target reader ?  Or have you something
else in mind ?

Cheers,
Don Burch
D & H Business Services
www.dhbusiness.com.au <http://www.dhbusiness.com.au/>
P O Box 1289, Chatswood, NSW 2057, Australia
Ph:+61-2-9410 0606   Mob:(0411) 259 278
SIP: 98883527@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SIP: <mailto:635871@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 635871@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SKYPE:donburch888