atw: Re: Extra spacing after full stop

  • From: "Warren Lewington" <wjlewington@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:56:15 +1100

Oh, look you know, I flit between the two types. I see the option as another
tool in my repertoire to make life easier for those reading the
documentation.

Sometimes I find it helps in certain types of technical documentation that
will require skimming for titbits or portions of information; you know, a
sentence amongst many about a particular configuration setting, that an
engineer may want to know or refresh their memory about.

Two spaces helps separate sentence beginnings from title case wording mid
sentence. I have found slight - no, 'subtle' is a better choice -
differences in the response people have to one or two spaced sentence starts
in sample paragraphs at times. This is especially the case where there is a
plethora  of title cased wording forced into paragraphs by company policy
about naming things. Two spaces also helps to differentiate sentence starts
when certain fonts have periods that are vague on-screen and or have printed
badly.

So do what seems best. Two spaces can be set as default on MS Word and maybe
you should defer to that? Mainly the trick is to be consistent about it. I
will go as far to say that you may decide to use two spaces in one section
and not in other sections of a document. The "rules" (which pedants on this
list try to hide behind btw - demonstrating their own personality
deficiencies more than their technical knowledge) say you should only use
one space.

I defer to the Chicago Manual of Style regularly, but it is a guideline, not
necessarily the absolute.

Hey, does it really matter?

wjlewington@xxxxxxxxxx

WJL Consulting.