atw: Re: Developing Training manuals.

  • From: "Anthony Self" <ASelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:46:14 +1000

Dear All

For online learning materials, I would suggest Articulate is a good =
application to investigate. It allows you to convert PowerPoint presentatio=
ns into standalone Flash-based tutorials, and you can integrate Captivate =
demos and simulations easily. Articulate also has some add-on modules, =
including a comprehensive e-learning package.

Tony Self

>>> "Deborah Cross" <Deborah.Cross@xxxxxxxxxx> 19/06/2008 8:41 am >>>
Hi Helen - I'll second the vote for Captivate.
For our online training materials, I developed a PowerPoint presentation
that linked to demonstrations and simulations developed in Captivate. We
then converted the PowerPoint to PDF to make it a little more
accessible.

I have tried to do a whole online training module in Captivate but, last
time I used it, there were poor styling functions. Every bit of text on
every slide in Captivate had to be formatted individually (unless it was
a caption) - it really isn't a tool for putting up a screen of text. But
it is fabulous for quizzes, demonstrations and simulations. PowerPoint
was much easier to use for presenting a block of text and/or a few
pictures with captions and it sizes to screen easily which makes it
ideal for online training modules.

If you're interested I could probably zip up a module and send it to you
to have a look at? Contact me off list.

Deborah.

-----
Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the =
use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or =
protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any =
dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly =
prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any =
attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted =
in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for =
viruses or defects before opening them. If you have received this =
transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000 and delete it =
immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in connection =
with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised =
access or unauthorised amendment.