atw: Re: Australian source of citation advice

  • From: "Jasmine Andrews" <jasminethetrainer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 11:15:08 +1000

MHT

No test, I didn't even make it that far. The glaring absence of any mention
of HTML on the CV was enough to take me out of the running. I also spotted a
couple of things last night that I missed in proofreading my CV so I'm not
suprised... I wouldn't hire me either.

I was initially a bit miffed and thought that if I was a web design guru
already, then I wouldn't be pursuing tech writing roles. I got over myself
and picked up the copy of Visual Quickstart HTML, XHTML & CSS  that I bought
a few months ago but had been too busy to dive into. I already had a basic
conceptual understanding of HTML, and like you say if given a project to
complete and some reference material, I could probably have cobbled together
something quite workable by applying problem solving skills. But now I can
feel the "urge to master" building up inside and I spent all day yesterday
brainstorming suitable projects to build skills.

Funnily enough, I figured an online CV/portfolio would be the obvious
choice, very similar to your e-folio below (which is really neat, by the
way).  I might ask you off-list how you did some of the features, if that's
OK.  I've also started a blog <http://jasmineandrews.blogspot.com/> to have
somewhere to reflect on my skills development, and to encourage others in my
position. I have a short course coming up and once I've got a modest
skill-base behind me, I'll be finding a community organisation to offer my
services to.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement
Jasmine