atw: Re: Appendixes vs annexes [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:09:56 +1000

Yes, according to Fowler's Modern English Usage, 'annex' is the verb and
'annexe' is the noun, except in America where 'annex' can also be a noun.
However, it seems that that American usage is now spreading - and has
certainly reached the Department of Defence!
The reference to material that's bundled with a document but also serves
as a document in its own right is one I'd heard of, too. The consensus
here seems to be that that's what should be called an 'annex'. However, my
colleague here just found a reference that seems to suggest exactly the
opposite - that that should be called an appendix and the supplementary
material that amplifies or gives further detail should be called an annex!

My preference is to avoid 'annex' altogether.  If we need to invoke Hitler
to do so - well so be it!

Howard

SUNTER Bede <Bede_SUNTER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
18/06/2008 03:38 PM
Please respond to
austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
atw: Re: Appendixes vs annexes [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

I agree with Kath and Helen too, but would also like to point out that
'annex' is what Germany did to Austria in 1938, and has no place in
civilised documentation.