atw: Re: Appendixes vs annexes [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Howard (S)
Roget's Thesaurus (Penguin paperback) lists
appendix under 40n Adjunct: thing added with:
addendum; supplement; annex; attachment; annexe
(British spelling of annex) among others.

The Opera browser free dictionary widget brings up:

appendix n. pl. ap·pen·dix·es or ap·pen·di·ces 1.
a. An appendage.b. A collection of supplementary
material, usually at the end of a book.

annex n. 1. A building added on to a larger one
or an auxiliary building situated near a main
one.2. An addition, such as an appendix, that is
made to a record or other document.

attachment at·tach·ment  n.1. The act of
attaching or the condition of being attached.2.
Something, such as a tie, band, or fastener, that
attaches one thing to another.3. A bond, as of
affection or loyalty; fond regard.4. a. A
supplementary part; an accessory: bought a vacuum
cleaner with several attachments. See Synonyms at
.b. A supplementary document that is attached to
a primary document: stapled two attachments to
the memorandum.5. Law a. Legal seizure of
property or a person.b. The writ ordering such a seizure.

Of the above, appendix is the least ambiguous,
whereas annex refers back to appendix anyway.

So I would suggest that you stick with appendix.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Micky G
Write Ideas