atw: Re: '24/7'

  • From: John Maizels <jmaizels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:44:27 +1000

If the concepts needed are "continuous" and "uninterrupted", could you say that?

"24/7 continuous uninterrupted" would be a massive tautology, but could it be sufficiently clear and strong from a risk-mitigation PoV?

John

At 11:19 22/08/2012, you wrote:
A document I'm currently working with refers to "a 24 hour seven days' a week, 365 days' a year global network environment". Apart from the misuse of apostrophes and the mixture of singular 'hour' with plural 'days', this seems a very cumbersome expression for a very clear concept.
I need to refer to this passage in another document I'm writing, and was tempted to simplify it to 'a 24/7 global network environment' or to 'a round-the-clock global network environment'. But, after consulting the Wikipedia article '24/7', I'm wondering if this would be wise. It seems the term '24/7' has caused some confusion when used in company promotions, especially over whether it implies availability on holidays. I don't really want to write '24/7/365' â?? that's getting cumbersome again, and the pedant in me keeps wondering 'what about leap years?'. I like 'round-the-clock', but Wikipedia suggests it's a UK usage.
What do you think?
Howard

John P Maizels
Mobile: +61-412-576-888

Media Versatilist:  no problem too complex
Consulting Broadcast Contributor, CX-Network
www cx-tv com

SMPTE Director of International Sections
www smpte org au
Chair,  Media Industry Technologist Certification Ltd
www mitc tv