Re: [ARMini-support] Schema spreadsheet

  • From: Barry J <barryjerome@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 23:00:05 +0100

In message <3297a95854.rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <1f189f5854.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Barry J <barryjerome@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Is there a version of the Schema spreadsheet which will run on the
>> ARMiniX? I have tried running it and it will load and display a
>> previously prepared spreadsheet and will also print the spreadsheet
>> sucessfully. If I try to change a value in the spreadsheet though I
>> get an error message:
>>       "Target area past edge of spreadsheet"

>> - if the previous value is blank or zero, the changed value is
>> recorded in the cell changed, but it is ignored in any calculation.
>> - if the previous value is a number the new value entered does not
>> replace it.

>> I have quite a complex spreadsheet developed over a few years. I
>> looked at moving it to Fireworkz but that program does not seem to
>> have the same range of functions and 'if then' actions available.

> As far as I know, I have tried it successfully (at least with some
> sheets).  I'm not a Schema user, though, so I may not have delved as
> deeply as you.

I tried it again creating a new simple spreadsheet with a simple sum,
in case it was a problem with my complex spreadsheet. Numbers entered
OK, but would not do the sum.

> However, you may find that Aemulor helps, albeit that performance does
> drop quite considerably.

Had not thought of trying it with Aemulor as it ran natively on the
Iyonix. Tried it and it worked just fine. Did not notice any
performance degradation. I will run it under Aemulor in future - thank
you for the suggestion.

> I wrote to Dave Holden before he died about re-compiling his software
> for use on modern hardware, and got a rather non-commital reply.  I've
> mentioned it to David Bradforth and Aaron subsequently, and again it
> is difficult to get a formal answer.  I suspect that not all code is
> available, and things are still up in the air.  There seems to be a
> desire to make much of the APDL stuff available for free, but I'm not
> sure where that will leave things in terms of support etc. going
> forward... :(

I would be very happy to pay for upgrades if it was converted, I would
not expect it to be free as it is such a good application.

> As for Fireworkz, the author is still around, and seems to like
> programming during the winter months, so it might be worth making a
> wishlist for him.  If no-one asks for a feature, it's unlikely to be
> implemented...!

Many of the formulae in my spreadsheet are straightforward
calculations which convert easily into Fireworkz, but there are
several I did not manage to find out how to convert. Although I have
had Fireworkz for some time I have tended to use Schema and so I may
not be aware of the equivalent.

A few of the formulae in my spreadsheet which I did not find how to
convert are::

=FLOOR((SUM(F49:F64)/H15))
=CEIL((SUM(G49:G64)/H15))
=if C$22<=0 then 0 else if C$22<F26 then C$22 else F26 endif endif
=if C22-(F27+F22)<=0 then 0 else F27+F22 endif
=if (C22-C27-C26-(B7+B8+B9))<=0 then 0 else C22-C27-C26-(B7+B8+B9)
endif
=L_REPLACE("2008-2009",0,9((LEFT($A$2,4)-2) cat"-" cat
(RIGHT($A$2,4)-2)))

Best regards,
BarryJ