Re: [ARMini-support] Not resolving

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:42:27 +0100

In message <806f999d52.c.n.l.f@xxxxxxxxxx>
          ChrisF <c.n.l.f@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Both the Iyo and the ARMini refused to connect to the internet.
> The wireless access vis PC was OK.
> I bypassed the switch - no joy.
> I connected a PC using a fresh cable to the switch, shutdown the
> wireless and it connected.
> Then the Iyo connected to the net.
> ARMini still didn't so shifted the PC cable to the ARMini - no joy.
> Message = Could not resolve host: www.altavista.com (Could not contact
> DNS servers)
> Maybe ARMini has 'forgotten' something.
> Where should I look/ What should I try?

I'd definately start by doing ping tests, rather than rushing to
browser tests.

Start by pinging yourself (your IP), then your router, then try
pinging www.demon.net

If DNS settings are wrong in Networking (eg. router isn't set as
primary DNS) you could have a problem.  Also, I had an instance
recently where a customer's router didn't properly forward DNS
requests, so we found that manually specifying the ISP's DNS in the
Secondary DNS box fixed the problem.

Also, check output from *EJinfo

Best regards,

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS