[ARMini-support] ARMini vs Iyonix

  • From: Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 23:03:11 +0100

Given that my ARMini now has go-faster stripes, courtesy of 5.19 being
able to push the processor to 1GHz, I thought I'd try a little
experiment...

I have an Artworks 2 file that is approx 1.7MB (a world map circa
500BC), with just over 2000 objects. On my Iyonix, this takes about 2
seconds to render (document loaded, full screen, and zooming out, so it
is strictly a test of the redraw rather than anything else).

I copied it across to the ARMini, expecting it to take signicantly less
than that, but it actually takes about 6 seconds, which is
disappointing to say the least[1].

Any idea what the holdup is likely to be? Poor memory bandwidth?
Better graphics processing?

[1] I need to redo the map from scratch using a different projection,
and I've been putting it off because the redraw delays as the current
map was approaching completion were beginning to get in the way. I was
hoping the ARMini could avoid that problem, but I think I'll stay with
the Iyonix.

For completion, I've also tried it on my somewhat aged VRPC laptop
(VRPC-SE, running on a 1.6GHz dual core AMD Turion). That took pretty
much the same as the ARMini (6 secs).

--
Nick Roberts           tigger @ orpheusinternet.co.uk

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.