Re: [ARMini-support] MDFs and fans

  • From: Barry Smith <baz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:43:11 +0100

Well, it's not available from http://www.riscos.willowroom.co.uk/

> pandaboot.zip also contains those naughty MLOs that tempt you into
> overclocking land like me...

An extra 25%? I'm not sure I would notice the difference for the
applications I tend to run, which are mainly limited by user speed,
not processor speed :-)

>>> The only reason I have mentioned this is because of that wretched help
>>> file!

>> I'm glad I read it prior my usual approach of "launch it and see what
>> happens"

>> But the help file in the zipped 2.01 version still refers to v2.00 and
>> still has the "warning".

> Exactly as I said.

They need to revise the help file.

[snip temperature readings]

> Interestingly this confirms what others have said before that heavy
> use of the network heats things up a bit.

> Those temperatures are a little on the high side but will be just
> fine.

The 70deg is with the processor running 100% ("spare" clock cycles are
used by the distributed.net client)

> Once support for SmartReflex comes out for the PandaBoard (it is
> already there for the BeagleBoard) you'll see those temperatures drop
> quite significantly.

Even when running the processor at 100%?

>> I have a similar program running on my PC (Core Temp 1.0 RC3) which
>> shows (AMD Athlon 64 X2) Core0 at 83-85 and Core1 at 76-80, so I'm
>> quite happy with the ARMiniX's temperatures :-)

> Yikes!

> A PandaBoard shuts itself down when it reaches 85 :-D

Again, that's with both cores running 100%.
Currently core0 83-85, core1 77-79
If I stop the d.net client they drop to 51-53 and 47-49

I run the d.net client 24/7 and the PC hasn't gone up in flames yet.
Maybe it will if the fan ever fails!

Barry
--
www.g4iat.co.uk                     Using an ARMiniX with RISC OS 5.19