[ARMini-support] MDFs and fans

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:14:51 +0100

Hi,

I now have an ARMiniX of my own and can stop 'borrowing' the one we got for
my better half to use. :-)

Two points I'd like to ask about in case someone already knows the
answer/fix. I've also asked Andrew directly, but it occurs to me some other
user(s) may have already experimented and knows...

I'm using a Flatron IPS235 monitor. This is limited in the modes it can
show. In particular, not accepting frame rates below about 50Hz. So I know
this isn't ideal for the ARMMiniX, but I'm sharing it with an Iyonix and a
Linux box.

If I use the 'LCD (pandaland)' MDF I get:

1920 x 1080 60Hz 16m => lots of red dots on the screen.

Alas, if I drop to the next lowest HD mode (42Hz) I get nothing because
this is too slow for the monitor.

For the 1680 x 1050 modes I get

60Hz => red dots
56Hz => NO red dots
53Hz => red dots

So for now I'm using the 1680 x 1050 56Hz 16m mode. Looks fine overall, but
clearly a bit blurry compared with the 1920 x 1080 modes I get from my
Iyonix or Linux box.

If I try the MDF from my Iyonix the 1920 x 1080 mode I use for that gives
'green tinges' on the ARminiX.

So I have the impression I'm shooting near misses around the target!

I suspect something like a 55Hz HD mode would do the trick, but the
specific values in the MDF may need twiddling. Alas, I've never managed to
really understand these.

So any help or MDFs someone things should do better?

Second question.

Fan and chip temperatures. I have no intention of overclocking, but dislike
fan noises. Anyone experimented with disconnecting the fan - or slowing it
down?

Cheers,

Jim