Re: [ARMini-support] MDFs and fans

  • From: Keith Dunlop <keith.dunlop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:14:59 +0100

In message <73eca74253.baz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Barry Smith <baz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <9dfb734253.Keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Keith Dunlop <keith.dunlop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Just make sure you have !CPUTmpMon always running. If things start to
>> get too hot (north of 75°) over the summer you can always just
>> reconnect the fan. As it is a PandaBoard will shut itself down if it
>> reaches 85° anyway.

> I wasn't aware of this program. Having read the warning in the help
> file, is it safe to run on the ARMiniX?

Having just read the help file I see what you mean. I was expecting to
see some sort of mention in there about the work that Willi Theiss did
to make it work on OMAP4!

So to make sure you have the latest version open up the BASIC
!RunImage into your favourite text editor and check lines 1 to 5 they
should say this:

    1 REM >!RunImage
    2 REM For !CPUTmpMon
    3 REM Version 2.01 (18.02.2012)
    4 REM (c) WPB, 2010
    5 REM OMAP4 version by Willi Theiß

If it does then you're safe to run it :-)

The only reason I have mentioned this is because of that wretched help
file!

> How would I find out (with software, not a screwdriver) what processor
> and other bits of silicon are in my 'black box'.

You own an ARMiniX so without even having to use software I can tell
you that you have a 1.2GHz OMAP4460 SOC, a TW6040 Audio helper chip, a
TWL6030 power helper chip, a SMSC LAN9514 Ethernet/USB chip, 1GB of
LDDR2 RAM and various other sundries off the top of my head. Is there
anything else you require?

There's a little BASIC program called PB_CPUdetect which will tell you
what SOC you have and at what speed it is running at.

Cheers,

--
Keith Dunlop

Usable Range Limited