[argyllcms] Re: inter-instrument matching tables

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 01:33:12 +0100

Am 16.11.2011 15:07, schrieb Alexey Gribunin:
By the way, as I understand, number of principal components should be equal or
less than 36, i.e. maximum spectral bands. Is this correct?

Yes.

Why did you use 15?

I have selected this value empirically for my data set. The reflectance spectra
of all the 1786 patches in my data set (which was btw. from an inkjet print,
measured with Spectrolino) can be represented as linear combinations of 15
basis vectors with an error of less than 0.01 dE average, and 0.1 dE max, which
is good enough and certainly below the repeatability of the measurements. Thus
more than 15 PCs would just fit more of the noise in the measurements, and not
really improving anything (likely I should have used even less than 15 for this
data set).

Regards,
Gerhard