[argyllcms] Re: help with camera profile

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 14:22:27 -0700

On 2012-07-29, at 6:43 AM, Iliah Borg wrote:

> Good quality profile does not make a photo to look good (most customers do
> not want to put a boring reproduction of Valley of Fire onto their walls, we
> need to make it more vivid, contrasty, and saturated to deliver the
> impression the market wants), it makes it a reproduction. If that is the
> goal, I can understand the struggle for perfect profile.

I personally mostly care about profiling for giclee reproduction work, which is
why I've put so much effort into creating (not yet) perfect profiles.

However...I've also come to prefer such a profile as a starting point for both
landscape and portraiture. And, indeed, my more recent work has generally been
to come as close as I can to a colorimetrically-accurate rendering of the
scene...which, obviously, means getting the light right in the scene itself
(either by careful lighting in the studio or waiting for the Sun to do its
thing).

And, of course, dynamic range outdoors becomes even more of a challenge with
this approach, especially when one starts compositing multiple exposures. I had
a huge challenge with that photographing the recent annular eclipse over the
Grand Canyon...I went with a wide-angle (24mm tilt-shift) view with the ring of
the Sun actually in the frame. I still need to do a lot of post-production on
that one, but I've already got a first draft that's not all that far off from
what I actually saw. And, yes, that includes detail in both the ring of the Sun
and the shadowed parts of the Canyon....

I have a strong hunch that it's possible to make (in the studio) photographs
with as much ``punch'' as some of those over-the-top HDR renditions, but with a
single exposure and a colorimetric profile and basically no post-production.
I've got a bunch of other stuff to do in the studio before I get a chance to
see if that's really the case, but it's a project I'm looking forward having
some fun with.

But, of course, that's just my own taste, and possibly delusions as well.
Doesn't mean I don't drool over Velvia, or that I don't get a kick out of Ansel
Adams -- quite the contrary.

Cheers,

b&