[argyllcms] Re: help with camera profile

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:16:53 -0700

On 2012-07-20, at 2:58 AM, edmund ronald wrote:

> My humble suggestion as a practising photographer would be to forget about
> "real" camera profiling in anger unless you really MUST do it. MUST means
> that you do this professionally for a manufacturer, have an older camera that
> is painful to replace, or reproduce artwork, products or fashion.

As somebody who's doing art reproduction, let me heartily echo Edumund's advice.

Here's a link to a post that describes what I'm doing; it should give you some
idea of what you have to do before ICC profiling starts to make sense.

//www.freelists.org/post/argyllcms/Culling-outliers-from-ti3-input-data-before-camera-profiling,10

Not mentioned in there is that the digital part of my workflow starts with a
DNG profile based on an automatic recognition of a ColorChecker chart but with
a hand-drawn tone curve to produce properly linearized output (that is,
something that's D50 Lab 50,0,0 when measured with a spectrophotometer is
ProPhoto RGB 100,100,100 when it comes out of Adobe Camera Raw).

Indeed, I'm pretty sure that just what I get straight out of Camera Raw is
better than any of the local giclee shops can do, but Argyll absolutely
improves on that.

Cheers,

b&