[argyllcms] Re: gamut conversion through the LUT ?!

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:06:11 +0200

lee scratchy wrote:
> Ideally(and that's what a friend of mine is trying to do), the idea would be
> to output 16bit LUT data from the XLS spreadsheet(considering the matlab
> coeffs that it contains are very effective) then put them into the graphic
> card's LUT with dispwin.exe ?!

Maxime,

I'm afraid there is a misunderstanding. The VCGT LUTs which can be
loaded into the graphics card with "dispwin" are just one-dimensional
LUTs. Such LUTs do not allow arbitrary color transformation, but only
VERY LIMITED ones (like e.g. adjusting the gamma of the RGB channnels).
For the kind of color transformation you desire, you would need a
three-dimensional LUT. I'm not aware of graphics cards which support
that (except in conjunction with a pixel shader program), but I also
don't want to rule out that such graphics cards might exist.

Regards,
Gerhard