[argyllcms] Re: Spyder2 with Argyll V1.0.1 vs V0.70 (BETA 8)

  • From: Volker Sauer <vsauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:39:57 +0200

On Di, 22 Jul 2008, "Guy K. Kloss" <G.Kloss@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've got the feeling this is where many people stop when evaluating a distro.
> How smooth is the install path. Unfortunately in the lifetime of a system it
> doesn't stop there. From my personal experience the Debian and Debian based
> systems (e. g. the Ubuntu flavours) are much more robust towards the
> continuous upgrade path through the versions, in contrast to the RPM based
> ones, especially in the likes of (Open)SuSE.

This is exactly my experience. RPM is really crap when it comes to
upgrading. APT/DEB does the job a lot better.
I'm running about 30 servers with Debian Stable. Until about 5 years ago
they hab been on Suse. After the switch, the effort on administrting
them (especially in update cases) was reduced by at least 75%.
And for desktops, ubuntu and kubuntu do a great job.

Volker

--
  Volker Sauer  *  Poststrasse 1/601   *   64293 Darmstadt  *   Germany
  E-Mail/Jabber: vsauer(at)volker-sauer.de * http://www.volker-sauer.de