[argyllcms] Re: camera calibration targets

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 19:50:36 +1000

"Gerhard Fürnkranz" wrote:

> I'm actually wondering how the following note in the ICC spec should be
> interpreted?
>
>   "5.1.11 XYZNumber
>   "NOTE 2: Signed numbers are employed for this type to
>    accommodate negative values arisiing during calculations."

Hi Gerhard,

    I think the note is just and explanation as to why the encoding allows -ve
values,
    even though they are not permitted in a profile. The assumption is that a
CMM
    may use ICC encoded values for its internal calculation. Many early CMM's
did
    this, although the trend is away from this sort of implementation.

cheers,

Graeme.