[argyllcms] Re: argyllcms Digest V9 #99

  • From: Elle Stone <l.elle.stone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 14:07:50 -0400

On 5/8/12, James Cloos <cloos@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are you sure nothing calls xgamma(1) in your xinitrc, xsession or any
> system-wide startup files?

I renamed the xgamma binary to zzzxgamma on one of my four linux
boxes, and then I removed it altogether from /usr/bin. And the same
mystery vcgt still gets loaded on startup. So I don't think xgamma
itself is being called on startup.

As far as I can tell, at least two of the computers (the two laptops)
don't have any .xinitrc files, and certainly not in the home folder.
The graphics computer didn't have a .xinitrc file until I created one
to clear the vcgt on startup with "dispwin -c". Despite careful
searching, including opening all the files in /etc/X11, I can't find
any startup or configuration file that looks like it might be loading
the mystery vcgt information.

Would there be any clues in the xorg log in /var/log? The contents are
meaningless to me, but I do see that the same three lines that got
printed to the log right after I used "dispwin -c" to clear the
unwanted videolut information, also appear three times previously in
the log, during the system startup.

Perhaps someone else who isn't intentionally loading or clearing
videolut information on startup might be willing to use "dispwin -s
check.cal" to see if something is loading the same videolut on their
computer?

Elle