[argyllcms] Re: argyllcms Digest V9 #99

  • From: Elle Stone <l.elle.stone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 12:44:07 -0400

On 5/7/12, James Cloos <cloos@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> GG> The correct way to scale 8 bits to 16 bits is to multiply by 257,
>
> X11's dix (display independent) layer does do that (the change went in
> maybe 10 to 15 years ago; I remember the discussion on the xfree lists,
> but cannot concretely date it). Drivers, OTOH, still *might* get that
> wrong....
>
> -JimC
> --
> James Cloos <cloos@xxxxxxxxxxx>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

I checked the fourth and last Linux computer in the house, an
twelve-year-old Dell laptop with an Nvidia graphics card, running a
very minimal Debian Squeeze install. I uninstalled all the graphics
drivers except vesa, nv, and nouveau. Nouveau is the one being used
according to lsmod. "dispwin -s check.cal" shows the same "coding
error" values as Graeme gave.

All four computers were using Icewm, so I uninstalled Icewm on the old
Dell, installed twm per Kai-Uwe Behrmann's suggestion, cleared the
calibration data using "dispwin -c", and restarted the computer. Same
"coding error" values are loaded upon computer startup.

The Aspire laptop has integrated Intel graphics, so I uninstalled the
nouveau and vesa drivers (nv isn't listed in Sid), cleared the
calibration, and restarted. Same values upon restarting.

I don't think it's the graphics drivers. And as the Dell doesn't have
any graphics applications installed, other than argyll so I could run
dispwin, and I've never profiled or calibrated it, and there aren't
any graphics programs or icc profiles or device profiles, etc
installed on it (geeqie was installed, but I removed it), I don't see
where some kind of weird stray configuration file could be coming
from.

And again, "xgamma -gamma 1.00" DOES load the "coding error" values.
xgamma is part of the X server utilities.

Elle
--
Elle Stone
http://ninedegreesbelow.com