[argyllcms] Re: argyllcms Digest V9 #99

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 18:43:17 +0200

Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 09:46:32 -0400 Subject: [argyllcms] Re: Mystery monitor profile installed itself From: Elle Stone <l.elle.stone@xxxxxxxxx> On 5/4/12, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > Such profiles are typical generated by Oyranos if it sees no profile
> > assigned to a connected monitor device. It is a fallback profile, which
> > is generated from EDID. Oyranos does that without asking to serve naive
> > users. You can easily override that profile.
> When you say "Oyranos does that [creates and installs a system monitor
> profile from EDID] without asking to serve naive users", is there any
> chance that you could pop up a little box that warns naive and
> not-so-naive users that fairly fundamental color management changes
> are about to be made, and maybe give the user a chance to accept or
> decline?

We would better warn people, that their monitor is not colour managed ;-)

> Anyway, as Oyranos got pulled in with cinepaint/icc_examin, I've
> uninstalled the Oyranos/cinepaint/icc_examin software and instead
> compiled and installed cinepaint from source (alas, no icc_examin).

> > Specs are designed to use the _ICC_PROFILE(_xxx) atom. You should be
> > able to use Argyll's dispwin or Oyranos' oyranos-monitor tools to setup
> > your custom profile for your monitor. Then your profile should be used
> > instead. I assume that is what you intented.
> Actually, I intended to *not* set a system monitor profile. Most
> color-managed software allows the user to choose a monitor profile,
> whether or not a system monitor profile has been installed.

That ability should goo away as soon as posiible.

> Unfortunately, once a system monitor profile is set, digigam and
> showfoto won't let me choose any other monitor profile (so far, Gimp

That's currently the best they can do to not confuse users.

> still allows a choice even when a system monitor profile has been
> set). I have a shaper matrix monitor profile that I use most of the
> time. But I also have a LUT monitor profile with perceptual intent,
> that I also use from time to time. Once a system monitor profile is
> set, changing the monitor profile in digiKam means exiting digiKam,
> dropping to the command line, using dispwin to install a new profile
> (or at least uninstall the installed profile), then restarting
> digikam, a slow and tedious process.

> > You can create profiles without such calibration data. Read your profilers documentation
> Actually, I profile my monitor in its native state. I make sure all
> the monitor controls are set to "native" and/or "default" as
> appropriate. I use "dispwin -c" to clear any mystery vcgt information,
> then targen to create the .ti1 file, then dispread to create the .ti3
> file, then colprof to create the profile. The resulting profiles
> contain absolutely no vcgt information. I do indeed read the Argyll
> documentation.

> What I still can't figure out is where that weird vcgt stuff is coming
> from. It's easy enough to replace it: just add "dispwin -c" to the
> .xinitrc file. And it isn't coming from the Oyranos-generated monitor
> profile. So what's generating it?

You might try twm, which is a pretty simple WM and see if that helps locating the origin. XDG knows a about some start script folders which might jump in automatically unnoticed. /etc/xdg/autostart and others. (I am not on linux to name exact locations.)

> Kindest regards,
> Elle Stone

kind regards
Kai-Uwe