[argyllcms] Re: Spyder2 with Argyll V1.0.1 vs V0.70 (BETA 8)

  • From: xsdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:44:22 -0400

Quoting L <jrle1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
::snip? SNIP!::
My OS is Debian Lenny 64-bit, last updated about a week ago, with
Nvidia GT7600 graphics card and debian-packaged proprietary driver
nvidia glx 173.14.09-2, along with kernel? header? (not sure of
terminology) 2.6.25-6.
::SNIP? SNIP!::
Finally, one last question, does anyone have the Spyder2 working
without issue under Argyll v101 using Fedora 8 or 9 64-bit, or perhaps
opensuse? Switching flavors of Linux would be a bit of a trial for me
as I only switched to Linux about 6 months ago, so I am still a newbie.
 I tried Ubuntu, Opensuse, and Debian, found Debian easiest to grasp
and to back my way out of problems that I get myself into.  I tried
Fedora in a virtualbox vm, but it was like speaking another language
altogether. However, several imaging-related programs that I run seem
to have "issues" with Debian (e.g. I end up running Hugin v7 under
windows in a virtualbox vm because it won't compile under Debian Lenny,
though it compiled under Opensuse 10.3 with no issues).  So if Argyll
gets added to my list of imaging programs that don't play nice with
Debian but do play nice with fedora (or Opensuse), I'd switch my OS,
regardless of the pain of learning a new flavor of Linux. Thanks in
advance,
Elle

Have you tried asking for help, for instance, on irc? (irc.freenode.net #debian). I use Debian (sid) on all of my desktop machines, and it works great for me (including on my amd64 machine, which is my primary graphics workstation). What program(s) are you having issues with, and what happened when you tried compiling Hugin?

I've had no issues running Argyll, gimp, ufraw, rawstudio, geeqie/gqview, and others, and compiling Argyll, gimp, ufraw, geeqie, and gqview has been a breeze (are you familiar with the `apt-get build-dep` command?). I started the compile process for hugin, and it looks like it would have gone smoothly as well, except that I'd rather not install all of the build dependencies just to see if it works.

Anyway, I'm not saying that a different distro might not work better for you. But it seems you might not be seeking help when you need it.

--xsdg