[argyllcms] Re: Profiling flexo presses

  • From: Roberto Michelena <colorsync@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:49:25 -0500

> You will have to give an example of this technique, Roberto? Of what Imation
> CMM did?
>
> First, where do you keep the original readings?

Either some profiles (many, lately) include them in a separate tag, or
you just use the device->pcs table which usually corresponds very
closely. (depending on the target, it could just be a dump of the
readings).

An example of using this mode: in argyllcms, when linking two
profiles, you can use three different mapping mode options: "s", "g",
and "G" ; the "G" choice is the one which disregards the output
profile's B2A table and instead reverses the A2B on the fly.

> Second, to do the reverse interpolation mean I have to search manually the
> Device values that correspond to the PCS value I want to match? Have you
> ever done this yourself? It may be fine for some spot color but not for a
> whole image.

As explained, this is not a manual process. I don't know how the
algorithm works (vague idea only), but as a user you just have to
choose the "G" option in argyllcms. In the Imation CFM I believe there
was a checkbox to turn this on and off, but it's been so long I don't
remember. No other CMM I've seen has this, except for the fact that
non-ICC iterative color match (Oris, GMG) is based on the same
principles.

-- Roberto Michelena
   Infinitek
   Lima, Peru