[argyllcms] Re: Neutralize Grey Axis

  • From: Ernst Dinkla <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:27:30 +0100

So far the paper white is mentioned. The black ink (and grey inks) can be quite warm on some printers and one needs a lot of Cyan etc ink to shift that color if the paper white is on the cool side. If that compensation actually can be made with the provided media presets (RGB device profiling) Dmax of the black may suffer. The HP Vivera pigment ink set has quite neutral black and grey inks and the black generation goes along the total tone range in color mode printing in all media presets. Little compensation with color inks is needed to adapt to the paper white. It could be that an Epson 9600-9800 model or even older, loaded with a high FBA content paper isn't so easy to profile for that condition.

If anyone likes the paper whites of Hahnemuehle Baryta FB 350 or Olmec 60 Photo Gloss HW RC he might have a difficult task to get that grey axis correct on a 9600. I do not see an Epson paper quality that dependend on FBA though.

I started to read this thread as I thought it might mention an iterative method to get the grey axis neutrality more precise. Datacolor uses a method like that.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,      Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +200 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

|          Dinkla Grafische Techniek         |
|             www.pigment-print.com           |
|             (         unvollendet         )            |