[argyllcms] Re: Neutralize Grey Axis

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:35:12 +0300

Graeme Gill wrote:

> Nikolay Pokhilchenko wrote:
> > The peoples are demand this for BW printing. I have two troubles with users
> of "blue"
> > cheap photopapers. The profiles from Profile Maker works much better for
> them. The
> > relative intent in ArgyllCMS profile was unacceptable on bluish papers. I
> had return
> > money for profiling.
>
> First I've heard about it ! I haven't seen any examples myself. Care to
> explain
> what the problem is ?

The appearance of B/W image with original EPSON profile or with profile from PM
in perceptual intent is differ from the
appearance of ArgyllCMS perceptual intent. The prints with ArgyllCMS profile
are bluish in high-mid gray tones. The
images with Epson profile appears more yellowish (more neutral) in comparison
with Argyll profile at the same paper.

> > There is a problem: if one select the absolute colorimetric intent while
> > printing, the
> > clipping in highlights is happen.

> What do you mean by that ? (I've used absolute colorimetric extensively for
> proofing purposes, and am not aware of such an effect.)

Can You "proof" an sRGB image (artwork or photo) with highlights up to RGB
255,255,255 without clipping on paper with
whitepoint Lab=92,3,-11? The aim is the printing of sRGB images from Photoshop.
The workaround is the printing of an
sRGB image with absolute rendering intent. In such case the clipping in
highlights and in shadows very likely occurs.