[argyllcms] Re: Ink Limit Override

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:55:18 +0400

 Jason Campbell wrote:
>Since I understand what both of you are saying, is there a way I can get
>anywhere with a perceptual intent built by feeding in a synthetic (fake)
>profile out of argyll?  I am going out on a limb here not exactly sure this
>makes much sense, but at the end of the day, I need...
>
>If I query a Lab near paper, then I get near 0/0/0/0...
>If I query a Lab near solid, then I get near 100/100/100/0...
>If I query a Lab somewhere in between, I get a best estimate of the CMY build
>to yield that Lab...

Jason, can You just tune Your printing process in hardware with aim to produce
100/100/100/0% color which will "satisfy" ArgyllCMS as deepest neutral black?
For example, tune the densities of inks on the media to achieve for 300% the
color equivalent to the current 260% total inks. This can solve Your problem
because allows to build correct profile with true 300% deepest and neutral CMY
black point.
Another way is to apply the calibration curves to Your CMY. Total 300% inks
after applying calibration to CMY(K) data become 260% "hardware" inks. So You
can use in Your software desired 300% best black but fiddle the hardware with
calibrated data, with 260% actual black. So, Your secret software always will
see 300% CMY at Lab=0 point but hardware actually will print
colorimetric-correct black of 260%.