[argyllcms] Re: Ink Limit Override

  • From: Jason Campbell <campbell.jj76@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 21:23:28 -0400

Graeme,

Thanks for the feedback.  I am replying to Nikolay in a similar thread, so
please review and see if anything strikes a note with you there...  However to
this reply you offered, is there any way to override or work around this
behavior of the profiling engine?

What I mean specifically is that despite the crazy nature of CMY gray in the
3/4-tone+ region, at the end of the day, your 300% patch is uncontrollable.  My
concern with Nik's input was that for me, 300% is 300%.  I can't cut it short
like you can in an inkjet (where you effectively ink-limit with a sub 100%
output).  In pure halftone, I have to hit a solid.  So the modeled performance
contained in the profile I am building is not working when I query for my
expected 100% patch's Lab value and fall well short of 100/100/100/0 (300%).

Since I understand what both of you are saying, is there a way I can get
anywhere with a perceptual intent built by feeding in a synthetic (fake)
profile out of argyll?  I am going out on a limb here not exactly sure this
makes much sense, but at the end of the day, I need...

If I query a Lab near paper, then I get near 0/0/0/0...
If I query a Lab near solid, then I get near 100/100/100/0...
If I query a Lab somewhere in between, I get a best estimate of the CMY build
to yield that Lab...