[argyllcms] Re: Ink Limit Override

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:49:02 +1000

Jason Campbell wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback.  I am replying to Nikolay in a similar thread, so
> please
> review and see if anything strikes a note with you there...  However to this
> reply you
> offered, is there any way to override or work around this behavior of the
> profiling
> engine?

Not really, since the tools primary aim is color accuracy (but then I don't
have your
.ti3, so I'm only guessing as to what's going on). Forcing 300% out for
some L*a*b* that it doesn't actually produce, is not color accurate.

> inkjet (where you effectively ink-limit with a sub 100% output).  In pure
> halftone, I
> have to hit a solid.

I'm not sure why that would be if your aim is color output. Halftone is there
to emulate continuous control over the colorants. So 80% output for L*a*b* = 0
is (I
suspect, since I don't have your .ti3 to look at) working as intended,
reproducing
the darkest possible neutral color.

> Since I understand what both of you are saying, is there a way I can get
> anywhere with
> a perceptual intent built by feeding in a synthetic (fake) profile out of
> argyll?  I am
> going out on a limb here not exactly sure this makes much sense, but at the
> end of the
> day, I need...

No, it's not making much sense since you aren't saying why you want what you
want.