[argyllcms] Re: Hints to profile my DSLR camera

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:07:58 -0700
On 2010 Jan 4, at 12:45 PM, Milan Knížek wrote:

> Iliah Borg píše v Po 04. 01. 2010 v 10:11 -0500:
>
>> 2. Set white balance from some good reference grey.
>>
> This could be required for profiling camera JPEG image. But raw file? I
> guess almost any raw converter allows for manual white balancing instead
> of using camera pre-sets or custom camera white balance.

The challenge I've found is in setting the white balance in the RAW converter.
It's easy enough to do in ACR; just crop the picture to the gray target area
and adjust the white balance until the histogram is balanced. But I prefer the
quality (for colorimetric purposes) of the Canon DPP...and there's simply no
good way to set white balance. The closest is the eyedropper, but that samples
a single individual pixel -- and do you have any idea how much per-pixel color
noise there is even at base ISO in the RAW file?

> The IT8 target offers few grey-scale patches. Would these be more off
> the actual grey then the white-balancing cards used by photographers? I
> doubt so.

A $10 Kodak gray card is a surprisingly good gray balance target. It's
spectrally flat and Lab values are within one unit of 50-0-0. There are better
gray balance targets out there, but be prepared to spend several times as
much...and, even then, the Kodak card beats many of them.

Cheers,

b&