[argyllcms] Re: Displaying sRGB graphics on wide gamut monitors - gamma problem?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:22:10 +1100

Anders Torger wrote:
It actually seems like I got it kind of right altough my terminology is
not so precise. I did think that calibration is getting the screen "back
to neutral" so it behaves nice and well within its color space (and
adjusting whitepoint, brightness, gamma, that was what I meant by
desired target), and profiling is measuring and modeling what that
neutral really is.

That's basically right, but note that gamma is not directly relevant
to profiling, since profiling takes into account the calibrated
device behaviour (ie. in an ideal  color managed workflow, changing
the calibrated display gamma should have no effect on the final
appearance.)

Calibrated gamma has a primary influence for non-color managed
appearance, but only a secondary influence on the quality of
the color managed appearance (accuracy of profile, precision of
control over graduations etc.)