[argyllcms] Displaying sRGB graphics on wide gamut monitors - gamma problem?

  • From: Anders Torger <torger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:34:49 +0200

Is it possible on a wide gamut monitor (colorants near AdobeRGB) to
display sRGB graphics "correctly"? Say if my low ambient light mandates
a gamma of 2.4 on the screen to get best sRGB viewing conditions and I
calibrate my screen to that gamma, will then sRGB graphics actually get
gamma 2.4? The sRGB white will be the same as AdobeRGB white, but
saturated colours will not. I'm suspecting that due to this there will
be some gamma distortion. While grayscale will use the full monitor
range, saturated colours will not "see" the whole monitor's gamma curve,
but only up to the sRGB color gamut edges.

Is this a real problem, or is it only theoretical? Or perhaps I'm wrong
alltogether, that there is no gamma distortion? I'm still new to this
stuff and not 100% sure if my thinking is right...

/Anders