[argyllcms] Re: Displaying sRGB graphics on wide gamut monitors - gamma problem?

  • From: Anders Torger <torger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:21:35 +0200

On Wednesday 27 October 2010, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Please take some time to understand the difference between
> calibration and profiling.

This is what people keep saying to beginners like me :-). However, it
seems to me quite easy. Calibration = through translation (matrix or
lut) make the monitor display colours closer to some desired target.
Profiling = measuring the screen to see how it actually does display
colours. One can profile a calibrated display or an uncalibrated
display.

However, a source of confusion may be that I have misunderstood where
the data is. I thought that for an .icc profile from dispcal vgct =
calibration curves and rTRC/gTRC/bTRC = profile (*after* vcgt
applied)... but I'm no longer that sure. I must try to look further into
this, source code if I must. It will be impossible for me to find the
source to my experienced (or imagined) problems if I don't have full
understanding how calibration and profiling is applied.

Anyway, I'm sorry for being clueless, I know it's not fun educating
clueless beginners like me... I'm trying not to say clueless things, but
it seems today like I need to spend some more time on this before
leaving the clueless stage :-).

/Anders