[argyllcms] Re: Display Calibration. Setting up RGBCMY Hue/Saturation controls.

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:23:19 +0100

I suggest to choose a pure-power TRC as a calibration target because it will
be easy to achieve with almost linear VGA LUT curves (I am talking about the
Standard mode here) and this calibrated response will be easily
characterizable by a "single gamma + matrix" style profile (using very few
patches, like ~5 black..gray..white + 1 R,G,B).

I prefer the TRC to be characterized by a math function because I
experienced some problems with both Adobe ACE and lcms when I used any other
kind of profiles (like serious near-black banding without black point
compensation -which is unavailable with the Absolute colorimetric intent
anyway- and softer but still existing near-black banding + other artifacts
-like rising black level- with BPC).

And I prefer to keep the VGA LUT linear or as close to linear as possible
because it works with 10-bit/color precision but I can output 10-bit/color
from the framebuffers too. So, I think I would do everything on the same
place and this place should be the framebuffer in this situation because the
calibrations correspond to fixed targets while a software CMS engine works
with "dynamic" targets (it's chooseable on-the-fly from material to material
and different materials and even different light conditions requrie
different targets... -> I hope you have the idea...)

The framebuffer works with with the same precision as the VGA LUT (or even
more if we apply software level dithering on the 10-bit output) but it's
much more flexible.
(It works with PS -it requires Quadro, FirePro or modded radeon- and MPC-HC
-which works with every radeons which feature DP- but I use the sRGB preset
for games and I use common targets -like gamma 2.2- for this preset...)