[argyllcms] Re: Display Calibration. Setting up RGBCMY Hue/Saturation controls.

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:40:02 +0100

Am 22.03.2011 21:02, schrieb Ivan Kadomin:

Also could you please explain in a few words what is the difference between "gamma" and
"shaper" (or point me to somewhere, where I can learn it) ?

"Gamma" is a special (more constrained) case of "shaper", which models the tone curve by
a power function y = x ^ gamma (where the exponent "gamma" is just a single model parameter)
instead of assuming a tone curve with a rather arbitrary shape.

[ Correspondingly, the ICC spec defines two alternative ways to encode the tone
curves stored in profiles, either just the exponent of a power function is
stored in the profile, or a 1D lookup table. ]

Regards,
Gerhard