[argyllcms] Re: ColorMunki and low-cost ICC-profile service

  • From: "Alan Goldhammer" <agoldhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:09:46 -0400

You can read targets with any number of patches using ColorMunki.  The
problem is the patches are much bigger and you need twice the amount of
paper with CM using the '-h' switch.  It's also a little more difficult to
read patches using CM as you need a good straight edge and a little
practice.  i1Pro comes with its own scanning table.  Having used both the CM
and i1Pro, I sold my CM as the i1Pro was far superior and easier to use.

I would rethink entering into the profiling business at the price level you
list.  I'm not interested in doing this as a business but have offered to do
some "free" profiles for friends and the demand is really not there.  Most
folks that use OEM papers for their printers find that the supplied profiles
meet their needs.  Anyone who is a professional and does this for a living
do their own profiles or use a RIP such as Imageprint which contains the
profiled papers.  At $5 US you will never recoup your investment.  There are
very capable people out there who will make profiles and the low end price
range is $30-35 per profile.  I have no idea how well these services do in
terms of income (I do know that it is a sideline for one vendor who is a
computer software engineer).  Remember, you need to stand behind the quality
of your profiles!

I don't believe Argyll supports iSis

Alan