[argyllcms] Re: Cctiff

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:16:40 +0000

Hi,

Roger Breton wrote:

I tried cctiff this morning. Any reason why the term "photometric" is used
as opposed, I guess, to "perceptual"? For example, toward the end of the
comments, I got :

Using TIFF photometric 'Separated'

That's just a detail of the TIFF format being displayed - nothing to do with the actual colour management. The term photometric just refers to how the data inside the TIFF file is interpreted - including the colour space.

The most commonly encountered values for the PHOTOMETRIC_INTERPRETATION TIFF Tag are PHOTOMETRIC_RGB, PHOTOMETRIC_MINISWHITE (greyscale, 0->white), PHOTOMETRIC_MINISBLACK (greyscale, 0->black), and the one you're seeing - PHOTOMETRIC_SEPARATED (usually CMYK, but used for any "exotic" colour system for which there isn't separately defined value.)

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson