[argyllcms] Re: Capture One Profiles

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 14:58:29 -0700

On Jul 6, 2013, at 12:49 PM, edmund ronald <edmundronald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At random, I'd say that wb is not so important; especially if you want to
> process for the exact illumination in which you imaged the chart -a
> "situation profile' in which case you just choose a white balance and lock it
> down for ulterior uses of the profile.

In principle, you're certainly right.

But, in practice -- my practice, at least -- that leads to nothing but
heartbreak.

The better the white balance of the development, the better everything else.
Same for exposure.

Even if you're doing single-use-only profiles with the exact same development
(and lighting, etc.) for both chart and the ``for real'' shot.

And, if you're building a general-purpose profile, then the white balance and
exposure really do need to be absolutely perfect, or else you'll ``bake in''
your imperfections into the profile. And, let me assure you, that's quite the
mess.

b&