[argyllcms] Re: Capture One Profiles

  • From: Elle Stone <l.elle.stone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 11:36:28 -0400

I haven't examined the source code for other raw processors. But the
dcraw command line raw processor requires white balance information
before interpolating a raw file.

The white balancing takes place *before* the interpolation. Here are
the steps dcraw uses up to the point of interpolation, quoting from my
article "dcraw C Code, Outlined and Annotated"
(http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/dcraw-c-code-annotated.html):

Read in command line options specified by the user

Identify the camera make and model

Get “noise floor” & “full well” information

Get camera coefficients

Calculate camera input primaries from camera coefficients

Fix pixels on user-supplied “bad pixel” list (optional)

Subtract user-supplied dark frame (optional)

Perform wavelet denoising for luminance noise removal (optional)

Scale raw file values with “noise floor”, “full well”, & white balance
multipliers (each scaling value can be left at the default value
(which is roughly D65) or specified by the user, "-r 1 1 1 1" gives
unitary white balance)

Correct chromatic aberration (optional)

Interpolate the raw file (user choice of interpolation method,
including 2 options for raw output)

So you see, the white balancing is done before the interpolation.

Kind regards,
Elle Stone

--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com - articles on open source digital photography