[argyllcms] Re: Bad measurements & white point calibration with Argyll 0.7b7 and GretagMacbeth i1Display 2

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:21:45 +1100

Craig Ringer wrote:

I can't explain why i1Match would encourage completely different rgb
bias settings, ones that produce more visually pleasing midtones (even
when the monitor is attached to a different machine or the video LUT is
reset) at what it claims is also a D65 white point. Then again, I'm at
best a novice when it comes to serious colour management - as I've just
demonstrated - so that doesn't mean much.

It is a puzzle. It would be interesting to know what the white
point is when measured by Argyll, after the i1Match calibration.
Without an independent measurement it's hard to be certain
of these things, but one of the possibilities is that
i1Match is silently not aiming for D65 (perhaps it's smart
enough to notice that the mid-tones do strange things,
or it might be hard coded with certain behaviour for LCD's),
and choosing a white point closer to the native one for the LCD.