[arachne] Re: password encryption

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:34:59 -0400

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 08:09 -0400, Sam Ewalt wrote:

> On Fri, October 30, 2009 12:32 am, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:
>

> > BTW, have you taken a look at the "Kaos encryption engine"?  It is
> > an encryption program offered for free download at one of the web
> > pages at the Nettamer web site:  http://www.nettamer.net.  Kaos is
> > a DOS program.  Other than from info available at the Nettamer web
> > site, I don't have any info on how strong the encryption is with
> > the Kaos engine.
>
> Holy Moly! Looks like "Uncle Dave" moved to Florida and is still in
> business with his commercial applications. I wonder if anybody still
> uses Nettamer? It was ok for dial-up email.
>
> Sam Ewalt

It really was OK for dialup email.  Also it was really great for doing
ftp.  Also it had a text browser for surfing the web.  The text browser
feature did not, in my opinion, work as well as the text browser
Lynx386.

I used to use Nettamer frequently until about three years ago when
my ISP "upgraded" their systems.  After that it would not connect for
me.  The ISP's of many other Nettamer users also performed the same
or similar system "upgrade".  The Nettamer users working out of those
ISP's suffered the same problem and they were in great dismay over that,

Nettamer used to be the favorite internet app for many blind users.
They would say that Nettamer is the most "speech friendly" internet
app that was out there.  By "speech friendly" they mean that it
interfaces well and works well with screen readers, being programs
that read whatever text is on the screen and provide an audio output.

Nettamer also was one of the favorite internet apps for many people
who did not have any vision impairments.  One really good feature about
Nettamer is that it was almost impossible to get infected with a virus
of the kind that comes as an attachment to an email.  There was no way
an attachment could be opened without deliberate intervention on the
part of the operator.  In order to open an attachment the operator would
have to resort to a multi-step process.

Arachne's email client also has a similar feature for preventing the
auto-opening of executable attachments.

It was a very sad day for many blind people when their ISP's
upgraded their systems.  I hope they were eventually able to find an
alternative internet app that would work as well for them as Nettamer
did.

Sam Heywood