[arachne] Re: password encryption

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 00:32:12 -0400

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 22:41 -0500, Rob wrote:

> Sam,
> I remember reading that web page a while back, prolly when
> you posted it. It also uses the Rijndael cipher with 256 bit
> blocks. Pbox that I posted only uses 128 bits. I'm not sure
> why as AES can use 256 bit. BTW DES went out of common use at
> least 8 years or so ago. It is no longer in current use by the
> government. One advantage I can see with AES over ccrypt for
> very serious security, ccrypt can't be stacked, whereas AES
> can be tripled as with RSA-Blowfish-AES. But that would prolly
> be overkill for most people.
> Rob

> > Now that the subject of file encryption has come up again, you might
> > want to re-visit an old post about this that I contributed:
> >
> > --------------- begin quoted material (quoting self) -------------------
> >
> > From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >      * To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >      * Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 00:00:43 +0800

<snipped previous stuff for brevity>

When I was speaking of the type of encryption currently in use by
the US Government, I might have had DES confused with some other
type of encryption program.

Please explain what you mean what you mean by encryption that is
"stacked".  Are you referring to encrypting some plaintext and then
encrypting again the resulting cyphertext?

BTW, have you taken a look at the "Kaos encryption engine"?  It is
an encryption program offered for free download at one of the web
pages at the Nettamer web site:  http://www.nettamer.net.  Kaos is
a DOS program.  Other than from info available at the Nettamer web
site, I don't have any info on how strong the encryption is with
the Kaos engine.

If anyone here has some additional info about the kaos encryption
engine please let me know.

Sam Heywood