[arachne] STILL CAN'T LONG IN AT VANCOUVER COMMUNITY NET

  • From: "Brian C. Murphy" <BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ARACHNE FREELIST <ARACHNE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 17:42:49 -0500

Thank you to all of you who offered suggestions in my unsuccessful attempt
log in to the Vancouver Community Net with Arachne version 1.70R3.

I also emailed the VCN help desk some time ago and asked for the complete
sequence of events the VCN server wants to engage in with an incoming
browser.
However I have not yet received a reply, perhaps because VCN is largely
staffed by volunteers, of which, apparently, there is a shortage.

Some of you noted some mysterious missing letters in my Arachne.CFG, which
corrected and which resulted in slightly better performance.

I also tried, as some of you suggested, turning terminal and/or autologin
on,
none of which singly or together appreciably effected the always
unsuccessful
performance.  Each trial, it said that Arachne was unable to initialize PPP

and that No IP address was found in the PPP dialer log file.
A subsequent  check showed that no PPP.log existed.  When I copied a
PPP.log
in from another version of Arachne, it disappeared when I tried right after
run A170R3.
-
I then tried, as some of you suggested, A190j1-387, the old configuration
of
which I destroyed before re-configuring it totally from scratch.  Thanks to

Joe Da Silva's efforts, it configured correctly and Arachne.cfg appeared
flawless.  At the end of the automatic provision of all files, Arachne said

that one was missing.  I forget what it was, but I swapped in one from
another
recent Arachne version, which seemed to do the trick.

I used, without change, the default login dialog provided by A190.

The first time I ran the newly re-configured A190J1-387, it ran smoothly to

the dial screen, dialed properly, and then tried to go automatically to
home
at Arachne.cz as it should.  However, after waiting a couple of minutes it
had
still failed to go to that URL.

So I pressed F3 and asked it to go to WWW.Google.com (which older copies of

Arachne have sometimes been able to go to even though they could not go to
Arachne.cz.)  However. A190 did not succed in going to the Google URL
either.

The next time I tried, A190 dialed ok, but showed no attempt to go to Home
at
Arachne.Cz.

A190 then gave me the following error messsage:
Arachne Dial error
File G:\a190hard\system\gui\err ppp.ah
No IP address was found in PPPdialer log file or no packet driver was
loaded.
Possible reasons:Hardware fault (modem, busy or disconnected phone line,
etc.
Bad authentication scheme (PAP, CHAP or login script.)
User break
There is no connection to Internet just now.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
in fact, there is no problem with my modem or phone line.

However, it is quite possible changes need to be made in the login script.

Immediately below is the first 3 pages of A190's Arachne.CFG.

Any suggestions anyone may have for changes to enable A190 to properly log
in
an Vancouver Community Net will be welcome.
==
;This is ARACHNE.CFG for Arachne version 1.6+  (ACTUALLY VERSION 1.90J1
;If you want to use Arachne on PC with CPU 486+ you should start here.
;(tested on AMD K5/133). This profile is slightly less video-intensive.
;This configuration file can be completely controled from Arachne setup.
;Run "setup" if you are not sure what to change in configuration file.
;This configuration is an attempt from scratch after re-configuration of
A190j1 from scratch to login to VCN as arachne's ISP.

[profile]
Profile 486PC.ACF
Connection pppd.exe>>PPP.LOG
Hangup ermin.com 0x60>NUL

;Connection md    ... command cmd will estabilish connection
;Connection READY   ... connection is permanent, packet driver in
AUTOEXEC...
;Connection NUL     ... do not start TCP/IP (run "arachne -c" to force
this)

[dialer]
DialPage file:ppp_init.htm
Dialer INITERM.EXE>PPP.LOG
TerminalWindow INITERM.EXE
UseTerminal Yes
Port 1
Irq 4
Base 0x3f8
Mode 8N1
Speed 115200
InitString AT&F1
DialString ATDT
PhoneNumber 604-638-0189
Autologin No
WaitFor1 name:
Response1 \u
WaitFor2 sword:
Response2 \p
WaitFor3 >
Response3 ppp
PPPusername bcmurphy
PPPpassword PASSWORD

;Port values: 0=non-standard serial (COM) port, 1-4 standard ports
;Base values: 0x??? (eg. 0x3e8) - Base and Irq are used for "Port 0"
;Mode values: databits/parity/stopbits (eg. 8N1)

[tcp/ip]
IP_Address 0.0.0.0
IP_Grab IP address set to
NameServer 207.102.64.23
AltNameServer 207.102.64.3
Gateway 0.0.0.0
AltGateway 0.0.0.0
Netmask 0.0.0.0
TCPconfig PPPTCP.CFG

;IP_Address n.n.n.n  ... fixed IP address
;IP_Address PPP      ... for PPP.EXE and PPPD.EXE (get address from
PPP.LOG)
;IP_Address BOOTP    ... WatTcp attepmts to use BOOTP protocol
;IP_Address %enviro% ... Minuet style (enviroment variable, like %MYIP%)
;IP_Address WATTCP   ... use ONLY values from TCPconfig (variable "my_ip")
;IP_Grab string      ... prefix of IP address in PPP.LOG ("IP address set
to")
;TCPconfig filename  ... name of WatTcp configuration file (often
WATTCP.CFG)

[mail]
SMTPserver mail.vcn.bc.ca
POP3server mail.vcn.bc.ca
POP3username bcmurphy
POP3password PASSWORD
KeepOnServer Yes
eMail mail.vcn.bc.ca
PersonalName Brian Murphy
Organization Arachne Fan Club
TimeZone -0800
UseSignature Yes
SignatureFile SIGN.TXT
MailEncoding MIME
MailSortOrder DateSnt
SendHelo Yes
KillSent No
MailIdxTemplate idxhead.htp
ForwardString1 ----- Forwarded message begin -----
ForwardString2 ------ Forwarded message end ------
ReplyString On %s, %s wrote:
MyCharset US-ASCII
MailBodyEncoding 7bit

;MailSortOrder values: DateRcv|DateSnt|Address|Subject

[internet]
HTTPproxy proxy.provider.com:8080
UseProxy No
;homePage http://arachne.cz/