[arachne] Re: Off Topic - LINUX

  • From: Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:58:18 -0600 (CST)

Hey, L.D.
 I'm not going to make a recommedation of any one certain
Linux distro just yet, but I have used a whole lot of different
ones in different versions. I'm kinda a Baskin Robbins type
person. Linux distros come in more flavors than ice cream.
What hardware are you wanting to use? Do you want a direct
dropin replacement for windo$e? Maybe a small DOS like distro?
A powerhouse for graphics and audio manipulation, or research
and science apps? A GUI based, or a more commandline oriented
distro? Something to cover all bases? Do you want wizards and
such? Are you unafraid to open a text editor to make changes in
configurations? There are two main catagories in Linux, the RPM
based 'Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse, and the, Slackware, Debian, Gentoo
camps. I would would shy away from Gentoo, for now, but if you
are a tweaker, keep it in mind. How good are you with comprehending
cryptic and complex documentation? Slackware books IMO are THE
best for beginners. I personally favor Slackware then Debian.
Either one configured properly will do absolutely everything any
other distro can do, and are rock solid STABLE. I'm a fanatic
about stability, but they do not suit everybody. If you want a
dropin for windo$e, maybe Suse or Xandros. If I were you I would
get several 'Live CDs' that boot to full systems, that don't
touch your harddrive, but with a command or mouse click can do
a full hardrive install. That way you can try several distros
to see what you like best, what supports your hardware the best,
and what would provide you with what you are needing. Most distros
now have a 'Live' version, some only have a 'Live' version now.
Best of Luck, Rob

--
     -----Pine Email on Slackware GNU/Linux-----

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, L.D. Best wrote:

After reviewing what M$ plans to do to Vista, it has become evident that when XP is no longer supported (or sooner if I'm able), I will be forced into running a LINUX system just to get the tools I'll need to still use the internet fully(Open Office, Sea Monkey, etc plus tools like GIMP). As much as I love Arachne, and as loyal as I shall ever remain, I fear it will be awhile before Flash, ActiveX and a few other (no longer) bells and whistles will be fully supported by Arachne.

Although I have absolutely nothing I *must* do each day (other than downloading the spam and searching therein for meaningful messages -- much like stirring up the entrails of a chicken to see the future) I'm getting little I want to do done. Thus I have much spare time to learn about Linux, and Linux itself (if you know what I mean, cuz I'm not sure I do).

Therefore I come here to the forum of the adventurous and anti-doze computer geeks, wizards (wink), and workers ... believing that at least a few of you have experimented with Linux and some of those few may actually be running it somewhere. <G>

I do want something a little less complex than Red Hat Server ... for now. But I don't necessarily want something which hides everything like 'doze does ... i.e. I want to be able to exercise some control, without having to *maintain* control constantly. Much like life in general, eh?

And since it is the season of seasons, this gives me a chance to say happy and/or meaningful and/or entertaining and/or apocalyptic best wishes to any and all who celebrate anything at all. };>

Please do not get into any arguments about which is best/worse/worthless in/about Linux here in this forum ... wouldn't be fair, would be impolite. Howsomever I would delight in private e's sent my way at the e-dress above ... if I did it right, there may actually be a "Reply To" working on this message (Arachne is much easier!!).

May you never ever run out of chocolate ...

l.d.
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --