[arachne] Off Topic - LINUX

  • From: "L.D. Best" <l.d.best@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 01:47:35 -0500

After reviewing what M$ plans to do to Vista, it has become evident that when XP is no longer supported (or sooner if I'm able), I will be forced into running a LINUX system just to get the tools I'll need to still use the internet fully(Open Office, Sea Monkey, etc plus tools like GIMP). As much as I love Arachne, and as loyal as I shall ever remain, I fear it will be awhile before Flash, ActiveX and a few other (no longer) bells and whistles will be fully supported by Arachne.

Although I have absolutely nothing I *must* do each day (other than downloading the spam and searching therein for meaningful messages -- much like stirring up the entrails of a chicken to see the future) I'm getting little I want to do done. Thus I have much spare time to learn about Linux, and Linux itself (if you know what I mean, cuz I'm not sure I do).

Therefore I come here to the forum of the adventurous and anti-doze computer geeks, wizards (wink), and workers ... believing that at least a few of you have experimented with Linux and some of those few may actually be running it somewhere. <G>

I do want something a little less complex than Red Hat Server ... for now. But I don't necessarily want something which hides everything like 'doze does ... i.e. I want to be able to exercise some control, without having to *maintain* control constantly. Much like life in general, eh?

And since it is the season of seasons, this gives me a chance to say happy and/or meaningful and/or entertaining and/or apocalyptic best wishes to any and all who celebrate anything at all. };>

Please do not get into any arguments about which is best/worse/worthless in/about Linux here in this forum ... wouldn't be fair, would be impolite. Howsomever I would delight in private e's sent my way at the e-dress above ... if I did it right, there may actually be a "Reply To" working on this message (Arachne is much easier!!).

May you never ever run out of chocolate ...

l.d.
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --