[arachne] Re: My Gopher Hole

  • From: "Peter Lawrence" <peterl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:46:00 +0011

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 01:55:52 -0500, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:25:34 +0011, Peter Lawrence wrote:

>> Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!

>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:10:49 -0500, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:

>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>>> On the gopher menu there is a directory having many DOS programs and also
>>> some text files of interest to DOS users.

>>> Amomg the things which many of you might find of interest there is the
>>> complete King James Version of the Holy Bible.

>> Are you 100% sure it's complete? Practically everybody these days
>> forgets that the apocrypha was included by the translator team. I gather
>> there was once a coronation service at which they were about to use a
>> "mutilated" edition, which would have been in breach. someone only
>> spotted it at the last moment and had to run around a lot until finally
>> a complete copy was found.

> I had never heard the story that the translation committee assembled
> under appointment by King James I had included the Apocrypha in the first
> edition.  All of the editions of the King James Version translation that
> I have seen are purported to be the "authorized" version of 1611, i.e.,
> the version "authorized" by King James I.  None of them include the
> Apocrypha.

They are authorised - that means, authorised to be used in Churches
(under the established Anglican Church of that time, that is). But
services didn't need the apocrypha, so it often got omitted for reasons
of expense.

> According to a Roman Catholic nun who was my school teacher when I was
> in the eighth grade, all of the translations of the Bible authorized by
> the then current pope and all past pontiffs of the Roman Catholic Church
> include the Apocrypha.  Of course she was of the opinion that all the
> popes are much better qualified than a king of England to determine which
> books ought to be included in a translation of the Bible.  Was she wrong
> about her understanding of history that King James I did not want to
> include the Apocrypha?

No, but her knowledge of it has no bearing unless by some coincidence
she happened to know something about the Anglican system under the
established Church of England in that time and place. That system
specifically removes the Roman Catholic hierarchy from any official
position. All that "bishop of Rome" stuff.

>> ..
>> ..
>> ..

>>> There is also a whole lot more there which would be of interest to DOS
>>> users.  You all are quite welcome to go there to explore and to ferret
>>> out whatever you want.  Also you all may write to me by private email
>>> to comment about the site and to make suggestions and to ask me questions
>>> about the files and programs you find there.  Also feel free to post
>>> messages on this mailing list with your comments and questions about my
>>> gopher hole.

>> Would you like access to the material I found about how to post to
>> usenet via email? I posted the relevant links during our discussion on
>> alt.comp.shareware.nettamer a few months ago. Don't forget the email to
>> fax service either. PML.
>> GST+NPT=JOBS

> <snip>

> Yes, that info would be interesting.  When I post to Usenet I always use
> Pine or Nettamer or Lynx.  Those programs provide direct support for
> making newsgroup posts.  I don't know how to do newsgroup posting with
> Arachne.

The two main sites I got information from are:-

- http://www.faqs.org/faqs/internet-services/access-via-email/

- http://riot.eu.org/anon/doc/nym.html

I still haven't figured it out completely, particularly how to make
posts follow on. Mostly I just lurk, and google groups is good enough
for that so I haven't used this to read postings. When I do need to
reply I more often use an old netscape navigator under windows 3.1.
Just at the moment I can't do that since my ISP upgraded and until
they tell me all the configuration changes I need I'm locked out of
their news server. PML.
GST+NPT=JOBS

I.e., a Goods and Services Tax (or almost any other broad based production
tax),
with a Negative Payroll Tax, promotes employment.

See http://member.netlink.com.au/~peterl/publicns.html#AFRLET2 and the other
items on that page for some reasons why.

-- Arachne V1.77+/B~5

Arachne at FreeLists
-- Arachne, The Web Browser/Suite for DOS and Linux --