[arachne] Re: Can't find a file

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:40:21 -0400

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 15:41 +0930, Greg Mayman wrote:

> Many, many years ago, I had a little utility called WHERE.COM or
> WHERE.EXE that I could use to find all occurences of a file with a
> particular name.
>
> The usual format to execute it form the root directory in the form
>   WHERE filename
> when it would recurse all subdirectories and show all occurrences of
> files of the given name. Wildcards were permitted.
>
> With later versions of MS-DOS, this was replaced by the command
>   DIR filename /S
> for the same effect.
>
> I am currently using DR-DOS which does not have a similar command.
>
> Does anyone know of a utility that will do this function for me?

Hi Greg:

I know of a utility that will do that function for you.
It is called "findit.com".  Nearly everybody used to use
it at USGS where I used to work during the days before
there was Windows XP.  "findit.com" became a very
popular file-finding utility back in the days of MS-DOS
version 3.30.  It continued to work fine even with the
DOS-boxes of Windows 98.  Don't know if it works well
with the DOS boxes of Windows 2000.

I just now found out that "findit.com" doesn't work with
Windows XP.  That is probably because Windows XP has such an
inferior and degraded DOS box compared to the DOS box that is
in Windows 98.  In Windows XP "findit.com" works only on a hit
and miss basis.  It finds some files and misses many others.

"findit.com" is a very small DOS utility, 16,244 bytes.

If anyone here would like to have a copy of it, then just let
me know and I will send you a copy by private email.

Sam Heywood